I’ve always been a fan of B-Side releases. Some people look at these cuts as fillers or not ready for an album, but not me. Sure, some of the songs were recorded during the album process but B-Side releases tend to give me a glimpse into what an artist or band are doing during the in-between times. This could be on the road, after a tour, or in the case of Elbow, after completing an album. Elbow’s Dead In The Boot – The B-Sides, released today on Fiction/Cooperative Music, brings together B-sides and non-album tracks from the band’s thirteen year recording career.
“The band have always loved B-side land and this is a collection of our favorites. None of our B-sides are album rejects. It’s a different space, usually just post finishing an album when all the members of Elbow are chiming and feeling very creative. This gives Dead in the Boot a real late night vibe.” says Guy Garvey of Elbow.
In my interview last year with Elbow’s bassist Pete Turner, he talked about keyboard player Craig Potter development into a producer’s role. “Although he is a producer, he’s first a member of the band. His worries are the same as our worries.” says Turner. The material on Dead In The Boot was mostly self-produced, recording B-sides throughout the years allowed the band to hone their studio skills which eventually led Potter to fully produce and mix the bands last two albums.
Dead In The Boot will be available digitally on September 4th, 2012. Look for vinyl & CD editions later this fall.
Dead In The Boot Track Listing:
1. Whisper Grass – (Fallen Angel – V2 single release)
2. Lucky With Disease – (Newborn – V2 single release)
3. Lay Down Your Cross – (Not A Job – V2 CD Single)
4. The Long War Shuffle – (Leaders Of The Free World – V2 CD Single)
5. Every Bit The Little Girl – (One Day Like This – Fiction 7″ single)
6. Love Blown Down – (Fugitive Motel – V2 CD Single)
7. None One – (Newborn – Uglyman CD EP)
8. Lullaby – (One Day Like This – Fiction CD Single)
9. McGreggor – (Forget Myself – V2 7″ single)
10. Buffalo Ghosts – (Open Arms – Fiction 10″ Single)
11. Waving From Windows – (Grace Under Pressure – V2 CD Single)
12. Snowball – (From Help – A Day In The Life – Warchild album release)
13. Gentle As – (Leaders Of The Free World – V2 7″ single)
For more information on Elbow, please visit www.elbow.co.uk
One thought on “Elbow – Dead In The Boot”
Pingback: Win a Free Copy of “The Take Off and Landing of Everything” from Elbow - The Noise Room - Ideas and Information for Musicians